Last Updated on March 4, 2023 by admin
What is Computer Science?
Computer Science constitutes the study of computers, predominantly around software and software systems. A survey of computer science involves application, practicality, theory, development, and design. The computer science field covers various areas such as artificial intelligence, database systems, programming languages, graphics, software engineering, networks and security, internet-of-things, and more.
Why Study Computer Science in the UK?
- UK’s technology sector is continually evolving, creating more opportunities for Computer Science/ IT graduates.
- UK’s biggest cities employ more than one-fifth in the technology sector.
- The tech sector in the UK is worth around £180 billion.
- Software developer and other Computer Science roles were advertised 36 percent more in the UK over the summer of 2020.
- In the UK the average payout increased by 0.3 percent in 2021, while at the start of 2022, UK’s average salary increased YoY (Jan –Jan) by 6.3 percent – Stand out CV.
- The Global Digital Market economy is working more than $11.5 trillion.
- 8 UK universities are in the top 100 for Computer Science and Information Systems in the QS World Rankings by Subject 2022.
Are you looking to Study Abroad? Also, Check out India’s #1 Overseas Education Consultant, Envision Overseas for Study in UK.
Eligibility Requirements for a Computer Science Degree
- A Levels: Max AAA– Min CCD
- Five GCSEs (General Certificate of Secondary Education), including Science, English, and Maths
- Computer Science degrees at some universities require a Math GCSE
- IELTS Requirements: Overall 6.5, In any one component, the minimum score should be 6.0.
- Must reflect knowledge and interest in the subject
- Display a strong intent and motivation to pursue the program
- The personal statement should be well written (depicts language strength and the candidate’s ability to make strong persuasive statements)
- Range of extracurricular interests – sports, volunteering activity, etc.
- Highlight the ability to work in a team and display individual decision-making capabilities.
Earning Potential as a Computer Science Graduate in the UK
A computer science graduate is typically employed after completing their degree. Salary varies with experience and the type of program pursued by the student. A fresh Computer Science graduate with no experience can earn between £28,000 while an experienced candidate has the earning potential of £44,000 on average.
Jobs as a Computer Science Graduate in the UK
- Software Engineer
- Software Development Manager
- Web Developer
- Java Developer
- Front End Developer/Engineer
- Graphics Programmer
- Information Security Analyst
- IT Manager
- Network Analyst
- Software Architect
- System Analyst
- Web Applications Manager
- Web Security Administrator
Best Colleges in the UK for Computer Science
University of Manchester
The University of Manchester offers 1,000 plus courses to pursue across different disciplines – business, humanities, engineering, etc. The University of Manchester ranks 27th in the QS World University Ranking 2022 and 66th in QS World Subject Rankings 2022: Computer Science and Information Systems.
Top Computer Science and IT courses at the University of Manchester
- BSc Artificial Intelligence
- MSc ACS: Computer Security
- MSc Data Science (Social Analytics)
University of Birmingham
The University of Birmingham is a priced member of the Russell Group, earning it the reputation of offering superior research opportunities and academic excellence. The University of Birmingham ranks 79th in the QS World University Ranking 2022, and 151st– 200th in QS World Subject Rankings 2022: Computer Science and Information Systems.
Top Computer Science and IT courses at the University of Birmingham
- MSc in Data Science
- BSc Artificial Intelligence and Computer Science
- Masters/MSc Communications Engineering
University of Bristol
The University of Bristol was founded in 1876. This reputed university has aged with experience, and academic excellence, creating for its students a world-class experience. Over 600 courses are taught across undergraduate and postgraduate disciplines. The University of Bristol ranks 62nd in the QS World University Ranking 2022 and 118th in QS World Subject Rankings 2022: Computer Science and Information Systems.
Best Computer Science and IT courses at the University of Bristol
- MSc Data Science
- MSc Mathematics of Cybersecurity
- MSc Communication Networks and Signal Processing
Queens Mary University of London
A member of the Russell Group of Universities, the Queens Mary University of London is renowned and recognized for its research and teaching. The university is ranked 117th in the world and 14th in the UK by the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings. The Research Excellence Framework recognized the university among the top research-oriented universities in the UK; placing it 9th overall and 5th in the percentage of 3* and 4* research outputs.
Top Computer Science and IT courses at the Queens Mary University of London
Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) offers a variety of computer science and information technology (IT) courses at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Some of the top computer science and IT courses at QMUL include:
- BSc Computer Science: This is a three-year undergraduate course that provides a comprehensive education in the fundamental concepts and practices of computer science.
- MSc Computer Science: This is a one-year postgraduate course that offers advanced training in a range of computer science specializations, including artificial intelligence, computer networks, and software engineering.
- BSc Information Technology: This is a three-year undergraduate course that covers the design, development, and use of information technology systems.
- MSc Information Security: This is a one-year postgraduate course that focuses on the theory and practice of computer security and network security.
In conclusion, studying computer science in the UK is a worthy investment for anyone who wants to build a successful career in a rapidly growing and ever-evolving industry. With a strong emphasis on practical skills and the latest technologies, the computer science courses offered in the UK are designed to prepare students for a variety of careers in the field, from software development to cybersecurity and beyond.
In addition to this, the UK is home to some of the world’s leading tech companies, offering plenty of opportunities for internships, networking, and job prospects. Furthermore, with a well-established education system and a reputation for producing highly skilled graduates, studying computer science in the UK can open up doors for future careers both at home and abroad. Overall, for anyone looking to build a strong foundation in computer science, a course in the UK is an excellent choice.
Apart from this, if you are interested to know about Machine Learning Programmer Capabilities, then visit our Education category.